Search All Resources
Granule Fertilizing Do’s and Don’ts
Are you a pro at spreading fertilizer? Check your knowledge of the do’s and don’ts of granule fertilizer applications.
Granule Fertilizing Do’s:
- Do read fertilizer labels.
- Do calibrate your spreader.
- Do use a hand-held spreader for lawns less than 2,500 sq. ft.
- Do use a drop spreader for lawns with lots of landscape beds or tight turns.
- Do use a broadcast spreader for medium to large lawns without tight turns.
- Do water the lawn 1-2 days before the application.
- Do fertilize the perimeter of the lawn first.
- Do spread fertilizer by walking back and forth in straight lines, slightly overlapping with each pass.
- Do turn off spreader when turning or stopping, excessive fertilizer could damage the turf.
- Do fertilize after aeration.
- Do store leftover fertilizer in a cool, dry place for later use.
Granule Fertilizing Don’ts:
- Don’t fill a spreader with fertilizer on the turf.
- Don’t leave fertilizer granules on sidewalks, driveways, and patios.
- Don’t fertilize during a drought.
- Don’t fertilize a brown or withered lawn.
- Don’t fertilize before a downpour.