I Still Have My Ash…Do You?
After a great two weeks in Louisville, Kentucky, leading up to the 144th Kentucky Derby – “The Most Exciting Two Minutes in Sports”– it’s time to get back to a little normalcy and everyday business for our local green industry!
If you are on a two-year cycle for the dreaded emerald ash borer, is this the year you need to re-treat your ash trees?
Using Emamectin Benzoate insecticide for tree injections provides a two-year control of the emerald ash borer. Brandt enTREE EB is a pre-filled, ready to use application. There is no measuring, no mixing, and no spraying required. One unit is required per 5″ DBH.
Why Emamectin Benzoate?
Research has proven that Emamectin Benzoate is the treatment of choice. It has saved many ash trees from the emerald ash borer even though other chemicals are labeled for this treatment. EB can be injected anytime during the growing season when there is active uptake by the tree (April–September). The ideal window for optimal control and mitigating damage is mid to late spring (mid-April–late June) to target the adult stage and interrupt its ability to reproduce. In Kentucky, we have found that the best time to treat with the quickest uptake is when the ash has fully leafed out. This is also dependent on the health of the tree.
Why Brandt enTREE EB?
- It’s easy, quick, effective, and economical.
- No high pressure forced delivery of the product that would potentially damage the tree.
- No product waste.
- No direct contact to solutions.
- No run-off or drift.
It’s very simple to install. You will need a cordless drill, a ¼” or 15/64” high helix drill bit, and I would recommend safety glasses and gloves. No need to seal the hole after treatment as the tree will heal naturally.
In addition to treating your ash trees, don’t forget to ask your ATS sales rep about these additional products for plant health.
- Foliar-Pak Chloroburst L: Hands down, phenomenal results on chlorotic pin oaks and more.
- Foliar-Pak Bio 12-6-6: It promotes improved rooting and stress tolerance.
- Holganix PB1 LTO: Enhances nutrient uptake by the plant and aids in turf/plant color.
- Foliar-Pak Promote 4-0-1: Enhances the plant’s ability to fight stress and maintain proper metabolic functions.
- 14-14-10: Enhanced with Foliar-Pak Armament.
- Healthy Grow 2-4-3 with Foliar-Pak Armament: Premium all organic fertilizer.
- TriTek: Pest and disease control.
- Nordox 75WG: Copper fungicide
Let me conclude with some fun Kentucky Derby 2018 facts:
- 2018 marks the 144th year of the Kentucky Derby “The most exciting two minutes in sports.”
- Of the roughly 24,000 plants grown in the greenhouse on the grounds, 4,000 to 6,000 are kept in reserve for replacement purposes “as things get damaged.”
- A crowd of 157,813 fans in the rain.
- 127,000 Mint Juleps.
- 300 crates of mint.
- Justify is only the second horse to win the Kentucky Derby after not racing as a 2-year-old.
- Secretariat still holds the Kentucky Derby record at 1:59.40 set in 1973.
Mary Jo Petrosky