Guide to In-Season Field Maintenance
Whether it’s pre-game, post-game, or before and after practice, there are many tasks you need to complete to keep your field in great shape all season long. Here is a handy guide to keep it all straight.
- Tire roll all position areas and areas around the bases.
- Lightly nail drag the infield to a depth no greater than 1/4 inch deep.
- Hand rake all edges using a landscape rake.
- Mat drag and water the infield.
- Hand rake all position areas and areas around the bases using a landscape rake.
- Mat drag the infield.
- Hand rake all the edges using a landscape rake.
- Lightly roll the infield with a 1 to 1.5-ton roller.
- To make sure there’s sufficient deep moisture, water the infield to the point of standing water.
As Needed Maintenance
- Add conditioner as needed to ensure a 1/8-1/4 inch depth.
- Edge the infield with a blade edger a minimum of every two weeks, string lining the edges for accuracy every time.
- Float conditioner and add infield mix as necessary. Use a tine rake to keep lips from forming.