FieldScout TruFirm Turf Firmness Meter
Based on technology developed by the USGA, the FieldScout TruFirm offers a quick, easy, and affordable method to measure the firmness of turf and bunker sands.
- Measures golf course turf conditions for firm and fast play
- Portable, easy-to-use design
- Bluetooth capabilities for instant analysis
Based on technology developed by the USGA, the FieldScout TruFirm offers a quick, easy, and affordable method to measure the firmness of turf and bunker sands. Data acquired from the device allows golf course superintendents and sports turf managers the ability to take appropriate actions to reach the desired firmness of golf course greens, fairways, and bunkers, as well as other playing surfaces.
The primary objective for the development of the TruFirm is to improve championship-caliber playability by cultivating greens that are both firm and fast. By measuring the relationship between the compaction of the soil and the moisture level, greenkeepers are able to ensure healthy, aesthetically-pleasing greens that offer exceptional playability. Objective data measurements allow turf management professionals to balance the fine line between soil moisture and firmness, which can challenge even the most experienced experts in the industry.
The patented TruFirm system utilizes a hemisphere-shaped impact hammer that mimics the shape of a golf ball to better simulate golf ball impacts. The mass is dropped from a consistent height and the maximum turf penetration value is recorded and correlated to the surface firmness — the lower the penetration value, the firmer the turf.
- Measure golf course turf conditions for consistent playability
- Objective data measurements allow turf management professionals to balance the fine line between soil moisture and firmness
- Evaluate trends and monitor sections of turf relative to one another
- Easy-to-use design provides instantaneous measurements
- Logged data can be sent via Bluetooth to a mobile/handheld Android device for plotting specific greens or other surfaces
- Lightweight design results in an easily portable device without the need for extra parts
- Includes soft-sided carrying case
Common applications for TruFirm include:
• Golf course greens for better playing conditions and fewer ball marks
• Fairway landing areas for longer drives
• Green approach areas for chip and run play
• Bunker sands for surface firmness